2018-04-03 UF Grievance: Avi’s Translation History Bullets
———- Forwarded message ———-
Date: Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 9:09 PM
Hi TOC friends,
I recently had a chat with Michael Challis about Mo’s complaint to him
regarding our Russian printing, our using the same distributor and all that
As I was explaining some of the facts in this situation to Mike, he asked me
if I could give him a bullet summary that he could take with him to a
meeting in July (during the joint conference in Vancouver) to which the UF
trustees had invited him in order to discuss this issue.
Attached is what I composed for that purpose. Please check it out and let me
know if you think it contains any errors or significant omissions.
USGNY Russian Translations & Printing – A brief overview
. In the fall of 1990, USGNY decided to undertake translations of the
UB into Korean and into Russian. It formed a Translation Oversight Committee
(TOC) and began to raise funds for the projects. At the time, there was no
indication that Urantia Foundation (UF) was planning translations into these
. A few months later, after some preliminary work had begun, Lila met
Michael Henian in Finland while on route to Russia for a UB related meeting.
Mr. Henian told her that he was under contract with UF to translate the book
into Russian. When she asked to see some of his work, he said he was
forbidden by UF to show it.
. TOC met to discuss this development after Lila’s return to the U.S.
and decided to suspend work on the Russian translation.
. Over a period of almost two years, TOC members tried to get from UF
trustees and staff information about the status of UF’s Russian translation.
UF refused to give any information, including as to whether any progress was
. Then, following this two year suspension, TOC, with USGNY blessings,
decided to resume work on the Russian translation.
. Following about 11 years of translation and editing work, USGNY
produced a CD-ROM based electronic text of the work and received orders for
several dozen units from points far and wide in the former Soviet Union. The
e-text had also been made available on theuniversalfather.com (Barry’s)
website and subsequently on the USGNY website.
. Recently, USGNY decided to print a hard-cover version of the Russian
translation in Russia. It had taken several months to identify the printer
who could meet the required specifications. It took several weeks more for
us find a distributor who could accommodate our needs. It was during our
negotiations with the distributor that we found out that it was also
distributing the UF’s Russian book. Neither the distributor nor we thought
that presented a conflict, especially in view of the fact that the
Fellowship has been using the same distributor as the UF for the English
language UB. Prior to going to print, USGNY had gotten the Fellowship’s
permission to use the Uversa Press cover design.
. The book is available for sale on the distributor’s website as well
as on Ozone (the Russian equivalent of Amazon) and in some bookstores in
USGNY Public Archive Most Recent Posts1. publicEntries
- 2018-10-06 USGNY Constitution October 28, 2018 wp-admin USGNY_Society_Constitution.pdf
- 2018-04-17 Annual Musiness Meeting AGENDA June 8, 2018 wp-admin From: Stuart Kerr Sent: Sunday, April 23, 2017 10:17 PM Subject: Schedule Reminder – USGNY ZOOM Business Meeting 4-29-17 Hello fellow USGNY Members and Friends! I am reminding everyone to please mark down on your calendars next Saturday’s annual Business Meeting: Here is the USGNY Meeting Agenda for our annual Business Meeting on Saturday April 29th at 10 ...
- 2018-03-24 USGNY Meeting Minutes June 2, 2018 wp-admin—–Original Message—– From: Stuart Kerr Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2018 6:29 PM Subject: USGNY Meeting Minutes 3-24-18 Hello fellow USGNY Members and Friends! Attached, you will find the Meeting Minutes to our recent USGNY Social Meeting at the home of Barry and Kay Clark – Thank you Barry and Kay for your hospitality! . Of note, the ...
- 2018-03-24 Marta Elder’s program on “The Spiritual Brain” June 3, 2018 wp-admin Attached is a youtube link to Marta’s great presentation on “The Spiritual Brain” —–Original Message—– From: Richard Daunt Sent: Sunday, March 25, 2018 2:00 PM To: ‘email@example.com’ Subject: Youtube Link Hi Barry – here’s the link to the video of Marta’s presentation yesterday: https://youtu.be/z8G3VH4N70o Cheers, Richard — This email has been checked for viruses by AVG. www.avg.com
- 2017-11-11 USGNY Meeting Minutes June 3, 2018 wp-admin—–Original Message—– From: Stuart Kerr Sent: Wednesday, January 3, 2018 9:26 PM Subject: USGNY Meeting Minutes for 11-11-17 Hello USGNY Members and Friends! I hope that everyone has enjoyed a wonderful period of Holidays. We are now entering into a new year of 2018, filled with opportunity and imagination. May we all be inspired to do our ...
- 2017-10-13 USGNY Society Retreat (Fall 2017) June 2, 2018 wp-admin Details attached. 2017USGNYFallRetreat.pdf
- 2017-09-09 USGNY Meeting Minutes June 3, 2018 wp-admin —–Original Message—– Subject: USGNY Meeting Minutes 9-9-17 Hello everyone! Attached, please find the USGNY Meeting Minutes for our get-together at the Dogim this past 9-9-17. Thank you Avi and Lila for your warm hospitality! Also attached find the following additional documents; • 2017 USGNY Fall Retreat Res Form • Course in Spiritual Formation – Weekend Retreat Agenda • USGNY Outreach, Curto 9-9-17 • Urantia Book Conference ...
- 2017-01-28 USGNY Meeting Minutes June 8, 2018 wp-adminAttached are the minutes from the captioned meeting. USGNY-Meeting-Minutes-1-28-17-Revised-2-9-17.docx
- 2005-03-14 USGNY Constitution June 3, 2018 wp-admin Attached is the USGNY constitution effective as of the subject date. UBSGNY_Constitution0405.pdf
- 1994-02-17 Tax Exempt Status June 3, 2018 wp-admin The Urantia Society of Greater New York (USGNY) is a duly authorized, tax-exempt organization as evidenced by the attached certificate copy issued by the State of New York on February 17th, 1994. Further information and/or the certificate number, if necessary, can be obtained by contacting the current USGNY Secretary @ firstname.lastname@example.org.